Thursday, December 08, 2016

WHY I LOVE LATVIANS?

So. I am lucky, I have several awesome Latvian friends. I took part in this cool course in Vaasa (Finland) and Kolding (Denmark) and I met the most insane Latvian ever - Miss Bunny. She has opened up a totally insane world to me -Latvia. I mean, I'd been there before, a few times, but visiting Riga on a semi-regular basis to hang out with your best friends, not doing the touristy things, is totally different. Miss Bunny has introduced me to the Latvian culture, food, customs and people. And I honestly love them all! Since this post is about the people, I will spend the following paragraphs explaining who have taken root in my heart and who I look forward to seeing again. Next time I'm in Latvia or Riga.

Firstly, of course I need to start with Miss Bunny, herself. She is one of my best friends. I can tell her anything, we have this amazingly open relationship where we share both the bad and the good. We also somewhat share a sense of humour - being an idiot is classified as a sense of humour, right? She is very honest with me, always tells me what she thinks and I admire that about her. We all need friends who are not afraid to hurt our feelings and just tell you how it is. She brightens up my day, I'm always super excited to see her. Going out with her, having a beer and simply talking is like taking a holiday from my busy life. I can totally forget about my problems or I can discuss them with her - either way, we are going to have fun.

The first Latvian she introduced me to is A.B. He is the sweetest person I know. His heart is like the size of Latvia and Estonia put together. Whenever I go and visit, it's always great fun to share a good meal with him. He takes care of me when I'm in a crowd of Latvians and can't understand a single word that's being said. It seems as if being around me is never too much trouble for him. And I know I can be quite annoying. I do suffer from verbal diarrhoea. And he handles me perfectly.

Next I will give a quick summary of all my other Latvian comrades. Starting with E.M. Miss Bunny's happily ever after. Their relationship makes even the sweetest of candys taste salty. I'm serious, it's almost too much to handle. He is perfect for her and I am so happy she's found someone this amazing. L.K. is my rock festival buddy. Although she claims not to speak English that well, we can understand each other pretty well. Especially when Miss Bunny is not around. Go figure. She's an awesome person to rock out with, drink beer and clumsily locate the toi-tois together. 

And that's about all of my important Latvians that I keep in contact with. There's more, many more, but most of them have been one time hang outs. These few people are important to me. My life definitely got wealthier the day I met Miss Bunny. 

Enough sappiness! 
Next time I will write about something stupid. 
Until then, be Latvian!

Reggie

No comments: